Pages

Friday, June 24, 2016

Finn in the UK - EU Referendum



Since moving to England, this country has quickly become my home. As someone who never felt a sense of belonging - that is what I found when moving here. I have found a stability here like I have never had before... Today was the first time that I felt like an outsider in this country. The first day since I moved here where I felt like "one of the others" rather than "one of us." I have never before even thought about the term 'immigrant' being applied to myself or anyone I know in a negative context, but today it was made very clear that is how we are viewed.

The amount of scare-mongering within both arguments (remaining and leaving the EU) has been appalling. However; the thing that frightened me most was how much hatred was represented in the leave campaign. Never before have I felt the need to question my position in this country and whether I am 'part of the problem' which everyone seems to be so concerned about. Never have I felt petrified that I would be looked at differently if people knew my nationality. I have never had to second guess whether I would be treated differently simply because of my background, without anyone taking the time to get to know me or my story.

Throughout these campaigns, over 2 million people have had to deal with receiving flyers in their post boxes and having conversations with people only to be put down and ridiculed. We have had to deal with the outright xenophobic reactions that people have had towards us and felt incredibly small in a land that has become a core part of who we are. Nobody should have to feel unwelcome in a country which they call their home.

I am disappointed in the outcome, of course. While I don't believe that the EU is perfect, I do believe in unity. I believe in different cultures and races joining arms in order to see the world become a better one. I believe that we can only truly achieve greatness if we as humankind pull together. I believe in progress and change, moving forward TOGETHER. I believe in helping people who are in need even if it means placing their needs above our own. I do not believe in ostracising, discriminating, dehumanising or acting out of fear. I believe in humanity and hold fast to my faith in it even when the majority seem to prove me entirely wrong.

A decision has been made and the public has spoken. I understand that immigration may not be the only reason for the decision, however; it was one of the major reasons spoken about in the campaigns. So therefore I plea with the people of Britain - allow me to keep my home. I ask that you continue to treat me as 'one of you' rather than feeling the need to place me into a box or separating me from you because we are different. Our differences are our greatest strengths. We represent different nations coming together, in the best way possible - to ensure all of our futures in this world, rather than simply focusing on our own survival. 

As these changes begin to happen, I ask that you look at me and see me for who I am and my abilities, not the colour of my passport. I ask that rather than simply granting me to stay in your country, you view it as our country. That you view me as an individual with a voice, rather than someone simply here as a courtesy. I ask that you view us as a team, rather than as opposing sides. This may not have been the decision I would have made, but I would still hope for my future in this country to remain stable.

I cannot stand for being viewed as a lesser individual due to my nationality. We are all humans, let's treat each other that way, and stop viewing each other as competitors.
SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are dealing with these attitudes. Good luck, lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. It means a lot. x

      Delete