Pages

Saturday, January 02, 2016

Quiet Evening Reflections.


So I'm not really one to make New Years resolutions... But this time of year does often cause me to think back on the previous year and jot down some reflections on it, so I figured I would share them this time on this little back-corner of the internet...

This year has been an incredible one. It's been kind of a crazy rollercoaster ride, with loads of unexpected turns, but overall - it's been a decent year. I am far from where I thought that I would be at this point in time, but not necessarily in a bad way - just in a different way.


This year I traveled to some amazing places around the world and got to cross places off of my bucket list such as the Azure Window (above). 


I moved to the UK. Something which has been a dream of mine since I was eight years old, and something which I have actively pursued for the last three years. It all happened very suddenly, but it happened. I have met some incredible people here and fallen in love with the history, the culture, the architecture, and (dare I say it) even the weather. 


I have learned and continue learning on a daily basis about what it means to truly accept myself for who I am, and how to constantly push myself to strive to become a better person. I have learned how to be independent, but admit when I need someone next to me. I have learned that crying is not a sign of weakness, it is a sign of incredible bravery. That being vulnerable is one of the most petrifying things you could possibly do, but could be one of the most rewarding experiences as well. 

I have learned how important family is. And that family can mean more than just your blood-relatives.

I have learned about love. I have learned about heartbreak. I have learned about what true friendship means and how difficult it is when that is lost. But most importantly, I have learned how to control my unhealthy tendency of closing myself up to the world and not allowing anybody in. How important it is to be wise about the connections you make, however; not being overly cautious to the point of pushing incredible people away.

I have learned about loss and about comfort. How to enjoy the simple things in life, as they may not always be around for long periods of time.

And lastly I have learned that gratitude is incredibly key to leading a happy life. So to everyone who has helped me through so much over the course of this year and many of the ones past, thank you. I wouldn't be where I am today if it wasn't for you, and I'm so sorry if you ever feel taken for granted. It has been noted. I'm just not always great at showing how much I truly respect it. 

Happy New Year.

x Veevley

No comments:

Post a Comment