Pages

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Cheers to Anxiety...



I can not tell you how many times I have google search the words 
"ANXIETY. HELP. WHAT DO I DO?!"

I have had an extremely bad day today, when it comes to my anxiety. BUT - I have found quite a few helpful tips from along the past few months/year that have really helped me cope with my anxiety as it's begun to progress. I get anxiety "attacks" when I am faced with tests or decisions that need to happen right there and now. I am good with planning ahead for my future, but once those plans actually get close and it becomes time to implement those plans, I notice the physical symptoms kick in - my heart races, my hands begin to sweat, my eyes wander and settle on things such as the clock ticking on the wall, and I have a hard time concentrating. Now, thankfully, I do not have anxiety as bad as a lot of others do but I suffer with it enough to know what a bother it can be. So enough with introductions, here are a few things that help me.
No. 1 - BREATHE.

This is the most simple, yet most effective way to calm your nerves. Think the words "Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out" until your heart rate calms down. Also, what helps me is to hold my fingers to the side of my neck where I can feel my pulse, while I take deep breaths.

No. 2 - SIT DOWN, DRINK WATER.

Once you have calmed yourself down, sit yourself down on a comfy cushioned couch and drink a glass of water. Again, keep controlling your breaths. 

No. 3 - TAKE A MOMENT TO DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY.

For me, it would be watching one of my favourite TV shows or youtube channels. If you have no time for this, take a minute to think about those things. Take your mind briefly off your situation.

No. 4 TALK POSITIVE TO YOURSELF.

As cheesy and weird as this one may sound, it definitely helps to calm your nerves. Tell yourself that you can do it and you will believe it. Tell yourself that you have gone through this and it will all be okay. Keep repeating that until you have cooled down, then face whatever the situation may be.

No. 5 - THINK ABOUT WHAT THOUGHT LED YOU TO FEEL ANXIOUS.

I spend a lot of time inside my own head, so when I have calmed myself down, I usually try to think back to what the thought was that triggered my anxiety, so that I can battle it (This one actually comes from HERE, a website that I found quite useful when googling about fighting anxiety).

No. 6 - DON'T GOOGLE OR READ ABOUT ANXIETY TOO MUCH.

I know that may sound quite ironic as I just wrote about dealing with anxiety but it's true. The more you google about it, the more restless it makes you feel at times. So keep your googling under control.

Well, those are just my mini tips on gaining fast control of your anxiety. Obviously there are other websites which go into much more detail but those tend to get me a tad anxious, so I figured I would just write a simple post in understandable language on how I control my anxiety. Obviously, this will work differently for every individual so really it's all about testing and seeing what works for yourself. But I hope that this helps at least a touch. 

x Veevley

No comments:

Post a Comment