Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Journal Day #6

This weeks prompt, courtesy of Sometimes Sweet:

"Everyone has different things that keep them going. Sometimes it's the people around us, other times it might be what's waiting for us on the other side of hard work. Whatever it may be, there's usually some sort of motivation to get up every day, get things done, or maybe even go the extra mile. With that said, what would you say is your biggest motivation in life? Has it always been this way?"


For quite a long while in my life, I had an extremely hard time getting out of bed every morning due to a lack of motivation. For me, a lot of it had to do with not having a support base.

I came to a place where everything in my life seemed to be going down the crapper, so to speak. I was no longer in school. I had just quit my job. I was burnt out. My personal life seemed to be a string of never ending mistakes. So I spent my days at home, sitting around, doing nothing. I had no goals or aspirations. A large part of this had to do with the fact that I was surrounding myself with people who were in the exact same place as I was. Nothing productive can come out of depressed, lazy people hanging out with other depressed, lazy people.

I remember the exact moment when I came out of that phase. It was when someone actually took the time to ask me the question "What do you want to do with your life?" Not that that was very strange as people always ask that but what stuck with me was that they wouldn't accept my passive answer of "I'm not quite sure."

Almost instantly as I met the aforementioned person who pushed me to find out what I wanted to do with my life, I found another person with similar passions and interests as me, which then lead to another and another. TRUST ME - people are out there, you're just not looking hard enough if you can't seem to find them.

Surrounding yourself with people who see potential in you, and are always encouraging you to keep going, plays a huge role in staying motivated. Even if it's just one or two people, it's important. We as humans often like to play the game of 'I'm independent and don't need anyone.' But really that's simply because we haven't found the right people to surround ourselves with. 

After meeting my few close friends who kept me inspired and passionate, life started to brighten up. I got a job, which lead to me having a whole community of people who were impressed and proud of me, consequently healing a lot of wounds. Through that, I was then able to be the person motivating others who were in the same place I had been in.

Really we underestimate the power that people can have on us. They can build us up or tear us down. But ultimately, it's our decision who we interact with and let into our lives in order to have that influence.


But once you have found those people, you can't constantly rely on only them to lift you up. When you have a dream, a passion, and a goal, keep reminding yourself of that daily. Remind yourself of where you have been and what you are striving toward! That should get you up out of bed quite fast.

Books and music also help ;)

x Veevley

No comments:

Post a Comment